Hot!CP_is_not_dead !

Author
jbraatz111
CandyPress Customers
  • Total Posts : 15
  • Reward points : 1

CP_is_not_dead !

I haven't been on the forums for a few years and it appears that Mike doesn't really update CP anymore.

My quick story: I'm still on a CP version 2.3! (though heavily modified and always updated with the latest security patches) that can be seen here: https://rossirovetti.com .  I've been running on it since 2003.  I've also helped deployments on 3x, 4x, 5x, and 6x - including putting together new sites for a few people.

CP is a great starting point, and is much faster than a wordpress+shopping cart plugin.  I've had to acknowledge wordpress as a useful CMS for blogging, but it's been taken by so many to move into the ecommerce world.  Unfortunately, the (lack of) excitement classic ASP in general, especially from Microsoft, hasn't helped matters any.  Sure, .NET compilations can, in theory, run faster (depending on how well really the programmer did with the logic).  But I, like many others, like to make on-the-fly adjustments to things - which classic ASP is suited well for.  It's no different than PHP, which enjoys now a much wider developer base, and it could have been the next python had Microsoft given it attention; they could have made an effort for example to make it cross-platform.. but those were the Ballmer days.  T

That said, there hasn't yet been a problem that I haven't been able to solve.  Yes, it takes some patience sometimes, but any platform does.  

I propose that Mike should let the code base go into the public domain with a GNU or Apache license (or something), and allow us who have the skills over the years to continue bringing Candypress into the future.  It's still a great platform, it can be tweaked to be faster than hell and runs well in a hypervisor or a docker.  Being that the bulk of it is written in .ASP, I'd be even willing to port it over to other stacks (like the famous PHP-MySql-Apache stacks) as an alternative to Wordpress or Joomla with a lot of horse shitting around to get it to do something it wasn't originally intend to do.

What do you guys say?  Mike?  What do you think?  There's a long life ahead for CP and I think the community would be willing to keep the fire going on a github repository with active support.

jasonCbraatz

Rossi & Rovetti Flowers

www.rossirovetti.com
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.2